Follow these steps to record Skype calls to ordinary phones (landlines and cell phones). These steps assume you have Skype and CallBurner installed. Do you need help with installing CallBurner, or perhaps installing Skype?
1. You will need to purchase Skype Credit to make Skype calls to ordinary phones if you don’t already have credit. The term for making calls to ordinary phones with Skype is known as SkypeOut. SkypeOut calls are relatively inexpensive compared to making calls on ordinary phones (especially when it comes to making international calls). Here is Skype’s list of SkypeOut calling rates for your convenience. Tip: On the SkypeOut calling rates page, be sure to select your local currency from the “Show rates in” currency drop down box.
2. Click on the CallBurner chilli icon in the system tray to bring up the CallBurner Call Monitor window as shown below:
4. When you see the ‘CallBurner Options’ dialog, select the “Recording” (as shown below):
5. Note the ‘SkypeOut and SkypeIn’ subheading on the above dialog. The following options pertain to both SkypeOut calls (calls made from Skype to ordinary phones), and SkypeIn calls (calls made from ordinary phones to a Skype account):
- Record my voice only – This option will only record your side of the call (as in, your voice) in the event of a SkypeOut call with another party, or a multi-party Skype call (i.e. a Skype Conference, SkypeCast etc). If you select this option, you will only be able to hear your voice during call playback. This option is sometimes used by sales companies who want to record their side of the conversation for training purposes.
- Record all voices – This option records both your side of the SkypeOut call and all of the other parties in the call.
6. This dialog also allows you to configure advanced CallBurner options such as which audio format to record to, which audio encoding to use etc. See our How to record Skype calls using your choice of format and bit rate page for more information on these options.
If you have any problems getting this to work, we can help – just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.