How to record phone calls made from ordinary phones (landlines and cell phones) to your SkypeIn number
Follow these steps to record calls made from an ordinary phone (landlines and cell phones) to your SkypeIn number. These steps assume you have Skype and CallBurner installed. Do you need help with installing CallBurner, or perhaps installing Skype?
1. You will need to purchase a SkypeIn number if you don’t already have one. A SkypeIn number is a Skype feature which allows people to call you from a normal phone. SkypeIn works just like a standard phone number – i.e. for the USA, you could have a SkypeIn number such as +1 987 555 5555 for example. When someone calls that number from an ordinary phone, it rings through to your computer where you are signed in on Skype.
Tip: On the SkypeIn page (link above), you can select from a range of different SkypeIn numbers in different countries. The best part is that you can select a local number in your local exchange so that people can call you on Skype for the cost of a local call.
2. Click on the CallBurner chilli icon in the system tray to bring up the CallBurner Call Monitor window as shown below:
5. Note the ‘SkypeOut and SkypeIn’ subheading on the above dialog. The following options pertain to both SkypeOut calls (calls made from Skype to ordinary phones), and SkypeIn calls (calls made from ordinary phones to a Skype account):
- Record my voice only – This option will only record your side of the call (as in, your voice) in the event of a SkypeIn call with another party calling your SkypeIn number. If you select this option, you will only be able to hear your voice during call playback. This option is sometimes used by sales companies who want to record their side of the conversation for training purposes.
- Record all voices – This option records both your side of the SkypeIn call and all of the other parties in the call.
6. This dialog also allows you to configure advanced CallBurner options such as which audio format to record to, which audio encoding to use etc. See our How to record Skype calls using your choice of format and bit rate page for more information on these options.
If you have any problems getting this to work, we can help – just email us at email@example.com for assistance.