Follow these steps to record Skype calls, using your choice of format and bitrate. (These steps assume you have Skype and CallBurner installed).
1. CallBurner defaults to MP3, 32kBit/s, 24kHz. You can alter this to use other formats and bitrates supported by the codecs installed on your machine. (Windows comes with a number of codecs preinstalled. Other products you may have installed on your PC may have installed other codecs. You can also obtain codecs – some for free, and some for a fee – from other vendors/web sites.)
Note: This article is based on the codecs that were present based on a clean install of Windows XP with no service packs applied.
To alter the format and bitrate, click the CallBurner “Configure” button:
then click the “Recording” tab and the following will be displayed:
2. Click the “Audio Format > Change…” button to display the following dialog:
3. CallBurner comes with the following preset configurations. To access these presets, click on the drop down button under the ‘Name’ title in the above ‘Select an audio format’ window. When the drop down button is clicked, you are presented with these presets:
Note that the preset options are:
- CD Quality
- Radio Quality
- Telephone Quality
If you click on each of the presets, you can see the relevant recording format and attributes for each.
4. If you click on the drop down button next to the ‘Format’ title in the ‘Select an audio format’ window, you will see the following range of format options.
Note: this list will vary depending on which codecs you have installed on your computer:
Note that MPEG Layer-3 (or MP3) is the default selected format.
5. If you click on the drop down button next to the ‘Attributes’ title in the ‘Select an audio format’ window, you will see the following range of Attribute options (note: this list will vary depending on which codecs you have installed on your computer):
Fine tune the “Format” and “Attributes” settings to the format you desire, then click OK.
Note: not all formats are able to be converted from the Skype audio format. If the format you select is not able to be converted, you will be told when you click OK below. If this occurs you will need to select a different format.
6. Record Skype calls using CallBurner as you normally would – calls will now be recorded in the format you selected.
If you have any problems getting this to work, we can help – just email us at email@example.com for assistance.